Project Geo Metro GTi
Conversion Notes & FAQ

    What I needed to complete the conversion:

    • Wiring:
      To avoid the need to splice wires and change connectors, I swapped the entire engine wiring harness, the entire forward wiring harness, the engine computer, the steering column and the instrument cluster from the Swift GTi into the Metro. This worked so well that the car started on the first try.
    • Transmission:
      I chose to use the transmission out of the Metro Convertible because the Convertible has a 4.39 final drive ratio as opposed to the standard Metro or Swift transmissions which have a 4.10 final drive. The Convertible transmission lacked one of engine to transmission the mounting lugs. I had to weld a new mounting lug to the transmission to match the added bolt hole on the GTi engine. I needed the shift linkage and locator bar from the GTi. The shift linkage locator bar mounting stud on the transmission had to be moved, but the hole was already there and it was threaded.
    • Engine Mounts:
      I used the engine mounts from the GTI. The rubber isolators appeared to be the same. The biggest problem in the whole conversion was with the left forward engine/transmission mount. I found that on the GTi the isolators was positioned about 2" forward on the frame rail than the on 1.0L Metro. I had several options. 1. Cut the frame section out of the GTi and weld it into the Metro (the most work, and requires structural welding). 2. fabricate an entire new left engine/transmission mount (probably the best solution). or 3. Since the difference in location was equal to the stud spacing on the isolator, I made an angle iron bracket that allowed me to run one isolator stud through the engine mount at an offset. Click here: to View Engine Mount Details
    • Axles and Brakes:
      I needed support bearing and axles from The GTi. There were at least two and possibly three different spindle/bearing arrangements from 1989 to 1994. The GTi/Convertible/Turbo cars used a different & larger wheel bearing on the spindles. I never bothered to disassembled the axles/spindles to see if the GTi axles would work with the Metro spindles. Instead, I chose to swap the entire suspension, thus using the larger GTi front brakes and upgrading the rears to disks. I also needed the flexible brake lines and the parking brake cables for the rear as well. The brake swap required use of the GTi brake proportioning valve, master cylinder and booster.
    • Sway Bars:
      The front GTi sway bar was a bolt on. The the rear sway bar mounts had to be cut off the Swift and welded to the Metro before the rear sway bar could be bolted on.

    I had the factory service manuals and the parts books for both the Metro and the Swift at hand and used them to cross reference nearly everything.



Copyright © 1999-2003 Joel Dirnberger. All rights reserved. - Email: joel@joeld.net
This page last updated: 16 June 2003